Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oh, Wow! Earth Day #40: I was There in the Beginning

I've spent a great deal of time this week, getting ready for the 40th Earth Day.



I remember the first one. And I remember the wonderful swell of emotion I experienced, seeing that big theta fluttering over the campus.

Other people saw it, too, by the way: it was on a flag that looked sort of like the American flag. As I'll say in another blog, a Wikipedia article asserts that the 'ecology flag' came after 1970. The person who wrote that could be right.

Like so many other memories of that groovy period, mine aren't entirely precise. I wasn't part of the drug scene: and I'm very glad that I came out of the sixties and early seventies with pretty much the same neural equipment I had coming in.

No great virtue on my part: I didn't see how stirring your brain with a chemical egg whisk would improve its performance; and with a brain wired like mine, all I needed to take a trip was ease up on the brakes. Which is another topic. (Drifting at the Edge of Time and Space (March 7, 2010)

So, I've been indulging in a walk down memory lane, with nostalgic Pilot shades over my mind's eyes.

I've also been doing my small part to raise the level America's awareness of lint:

No comments:

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir