Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend, 2009

It's a bit past the halfway point of Memorial Day weekend now. The sun has set, twilight's faded into night, and I'm wrapping things up for the day.

#1 daughter's here for the weekend - with her rabbit, Giol. She's been here most of the week, off an on, using this household as a sort of base for a sales job she's trying out for the summer. So far, it involves more travel than she'd anticipated. Still, I think she's found another useful skill. She's quite good, I think, at giving demonstrations.

She's selling CUTCO products: someone in town bought another piece, adding to a fifty-year-old set. (And yes: I know that some people are convinced that CUTCO is a scam. Sales isn't for everybody, and I'll leave it at that.)

#3 daughter, my wife and son and I went to Soo Bahk Do class this evening. That was a distinctly strenuous two and a half hours. Among other things, we practiced hyungs (a set of prescribed movements - it's actually a bit like dance). What was different this time was that at one point we broke boards as part of the hyungs.

The boards were reusable plastic. They come in a variety of strengths, simulating pine boards of different thicknesses. My son was pleased when he broke his board. So was I.

I've broken boards before, but this was the first time I'd tried this sort of thing. I was a bit surprised: I managed to break a simulated inch-and-a-quarter board, several times. Granted, it was an much-used practice board, and probably is easier to break now.

On the way home, I saw neighbors sitting around an outdoor grill. The sun had set by then, although it was still twilight. The flames in the grill were clearly visible, but the family were silhouettes. Quite a nice scene.

I grilled burgers for lunch yesterday and today: and am looking forward to doing the same tomorrow.

No comments:

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir