Friday, May 2, 2008

My Father's Words

We received an audio copy of a 1-hour interview with my father this week. The purpose of the interview was to collect WWII experiences.

Monaural recording of Mr. Gill's Interview

It's a delight to hear his voice. And, have a little more family history available.

The recording is part of an MSU Moorhead oral history project. I looked the project up (Veterans' Oral History). My dad's interview isn't listed there. My first thought was, "well, we are Irish." A little later, I found the official website: veteranstory.com ("MSU Moorhead's Collection of Veterans' Stories"), a MSUM project. His interview, and a great many others, are there.

5 comments:

Tinggay said...

Hello, I was trying to listen to your Dad's interview. It doesn't open.

Brian H. Gill said...

piebuko,

Thank you for letting me know. I'll make an effort to see what's happening tomorrow. (Within the next 24 hours, that is.)

Brian H. Gill said...

piebuko,

Following up on the non-opening interview.

The file was quite slow to open for me, but it did finally get started. The interview is recorded as a huge *.mp3 file, which might cause problems with some systems.

Right now, I don't know of any way of working around the situation. But, if I do figure something out, I'll act on the knowledge.

Bernardo Alonso said...

I'll download the interview right away. My grandfather was also a veteran. He was a soldier of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (FEB) and took part in the takeover of Monte Castello (Italy) in 1944. Unfortunately he lost his right hand in that bloody battle.
Brazil joined World War II after several merchant ships were sunk by German U-boats. Fortunately Brazilians were victorious in Monte Castello.
Nice link explaining the Brazilian involvement in WWII:
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/3351/campaigns/brzedit.html

Brian H. Gill said...

machinehuman,

Thank you for your comment, and for sharing your family experience. To make it a little easier for others reading these comments, I'm repeating that URL you mentioned, as a live link: www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/3351/campaigns/brzedit.html

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir