Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday: Afternoon at the Fair

Good grief! It's almost two weeks since I added to this!

I went to see my father last weekend, picking up #1 daughter in Alexandria, and #2 daughter in Moorhead. A mile or so before the 8th Street exit on I-94, traffic slowed to a crawl. From the occasional law enforcement vehicle parked along the Interstate, I knew that something had happened, but a semitrailer blocked most of the view ahead.

That wasn't a problem for #1 daughter and me. We got about a half-hour more conversation in than we usually do, coming to pick up #2 daughter. Traffic was backed up on the 8th Street bridge, too, which got my attention. Saturday's Fargo Forum gave the explanation. Nobody had been killed, thankfully, when a truck was driven under the bridge, with its lift box in the 'up' position. A good-sized divot was knocked out of the bridge, and hit a car.

Aside from that, the trip was routine.

I enjoyed a talk or two with my father, but mostly I slept: at night, with several naps during the days we were there. I think I may have been getting caught up.

Routine? Not quite. #1 daughter brought her rabbit, Giol, along. Also his pet carrier and leash. Giol's harness had been left behind in Alexandria. Happily, #2 daughter located some cloth at the house and made a harness for the rabbit.

Giol was quite a hit at the nursing home. After my father got acquainted with Giol, my daughters took the rabbit for a walk up and down the hall. They visited quite a few rooms on their way.

Daisy, the home's resident friendly Labrador, had to be in her kennel while Giol was there. Toward the end of the visit, I sat next to Daisy, to keep her company.

Yesterday, my son announced that he can now raise his left eyebrow without right one coming along. I wasn't able to do that until around the mid-teens.

The two of us went to the Stearns County Fair this afternoon. It's one of the 'wristband' days, when a bargain-priced wristband will get youngsters onto any number of rides, between 1 and 5 in the afternoon.

My son made good use of his wristband, getting two rides on a perennial favorite of his, the Gravitron: a sort of spinning pie tin of a ride. He went on others, too, but skipped one that he knew would be too much for the way he was feeling. He's okay, but recognized a slight tendency toward queasiness. Hot days haven't helped that.

That lad has good sense.

We took a break from the midway around mid-afternoon, to look at the 4H and Conservation Club exhibits. The Conservation Club had reindeer this year, and a laid-back porcupine, among other creatures.

By the time my son and I got back home, we'd been out ten minutes short of four hours: and a find time it was.

Right now, as I write this, my wife, #3 daughter, and my son are playing "Cue Me" in the living room. And, judging from the laughter, having a good time.


Brigid said...

The porcupine would be laid back, it's nocturnal. It was probably asleep.

I notice you glossed over the part of the Grandpa visit involving the rabbit. I thought that was one of the most exciting parts of the trip.

Brian H. Gill said...


As C3PO said, "oh! I forgot! I forgot!"

Good grief. it was a high point. I'll be back, with a correction for that omission.

Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir