Thursday, June 28, 2007

Family Life: Unglamourous, Maybe; Boring, Never

Having a family has very real rewards. For example, I haven't been bored since my wife and I started this one, about a quarter-century back.

Today, one of my daughters decided that her laptop's performance had become so execrable that the only reasonable thing to do was to back up all her data, re-format the hard drive, and re-install what she needed.

I think of that as the 'nuclear option' of computer maintenance.

Everything went smoothly until an activation code was needed. To be mercifully brief, she's now waiting for word to come back from a California warehouse. There may be news for her tomorrow.

Meanwhile, another daughter came home from her job of painting a barn with a two-foot-long splash of oozing red running down her right leg. Since she was walking as well as could be expected, after getting an uber-charlie-horse yesterday, I decided that it wasn't blood.

There had been an incident involving a ladder and a can of paint. An intense session with mineral spirits and some other ingredients my wife and daughter discussed seems to have dealt with the issue. At least, she says she won't be smearing paint onto things now.

I spent part of the morning, learning that last year's hip replacements are doing okay. Meanwhile, my father-in-law got his knees replaced yesterday. Part of this family is minding the shop while he's recuperating.

As for my son, he's been keeping a fairly low profile since starting me on a voyage of discovery on Monday. (Details in Computers and Kids: Home-Based Business vs Bionicles (June 25), Computers and Kids: the Sequel (June 26) and Computers and Kids: Return of the Sequel (June 27).)

No comments:

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir