Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Another Day, More Posts; Some Research; and a Rabbit

I had a short talk with my son-in-law today, and an insurance agent. He - that's my son-in-law - is getting insurance for the house he and #2 daughter are living in. Good idea, too.

And, if I heard it right, I'll have a new niece or nephew soon. The extended family's growing. For which I'm duly grateful.

The task-list system I started last year is working. Which reminds me of the story of the speckled axe. If you've heard this before, skip the next paragraph.

A father and son were getting ready to chop wood. This was in the days when you sharpened an axe by turning a stone wheel by hand and holding the axe blade against it. The son didn't want to have a speckled axe when they were done. He wanted to get the axe perfectly sharpened and polished, with no rust left at all. The father agreed, on the condition that the son turn the wheel. After a while the son got tired and said, "Dad, I think a speckled axe is okay."

Well, I decided to accept a speckled-axe approach to the task list. I had all the tasks that could be done listed. But each day I only did those that really needed to be finished.

Today, I only have thee left undone. Not bad, actually. And, improving.

My son and I read Garfield tonight, as we usually do, before he went to bed.

He gave an apple core to Giol, #1 daughter's rabbit, on his way upstairs. Giol's a bit mellower now, than he was over the last few weeks. Still, he hopped energetically on his back feet, reaching for the apple core.

Which brings me up to the present. Giol is sitting under a chair in the kitchen, washing himself. He reminds me of the cats I knew, growing pu, when he does that. Good memories.

And, good night.

1 comment:

Brigid said...

"growing pu"

You grew pu?

:P

Your friendly neighborhood proofreader. And #1 daughter.

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir