Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Morning: The Out-of-Nesters and Us

We were getting frequent updates yesterday via cellphone from #1 daughter, as she experienced a cross-country bus trip in the depth of a North American winter. She finally arrived in Washington, DC, and was very, very impressed with the hotel that her convention was at.

The glass doors and bellmen seemed to attract her attention the most.

That, and that the room ("suite," I suspect) she's in is shared by a large number of people: including some young men. Neither #1 daughter nor her friend knew that it would be co-ed, apparently.

She called again this morning, about 6:40. My wife and I hadn't gotten up yet, but our son had. He tells me that he thinks #1 daughter hasn't figured out time zones yet. Also, that she said she'd call back.

I'll be interested in learning how her dis-advised, unsanctioned, excursion is going. But, as I said before, she's of age. And, I think she's learning something.

Meanwhile, up in Moorhead, #2 daughter has been impressed by the four school shootings (so far) this week. I think the killings at NIU DeKalb, in Illinois, impressed her.

I can understand that: She's on a college campus, and there'd been a shooting at a school once a day, on average.

She called yesterday, and had a long talk with my wife. I think that helped.
Update, about 10:30 a.m.
Back to #1 daughter: She called, a little before 10, talked with #3 daughter, then with me.

Last night she addressed her roommates, holding her bokken (a wooden sword) aloft, and announced her both her intention to protect her virginity, and her proficiency with the bokken. The girls, she said, regarded the announcement as "stupid." On the other hand, many of the guys thought it was cool.

The girls stated that the guys were okay, and could be trusted. I'm a man, and have rather well-defined standards of behavior. But even now, in my fifties, I would keep a sharp eye on myself, in the unlikely event that I found myself sleeping in a room full of young women.

Men in their twenties? Never mind.

#1 daughter, after her head dropped on the bokken several times, decided to give up her intention of sleeping sitting up, and retired to the floor of the closet. Curled up with her bokken.

At what she called "some unholy hour," a very concerned young man approached the door. He said, "I'm just here to get my costume. Please don't hit me." Offhand, I think she gained a level of respect in that group.

Meanwhile, convention registration is underway, and #1 daughter has been meeting people and taking photos. I think she'll have a good time.

No comments:

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir