Friday, February 29, 2008

Transitions: Cuiously Subdued Emtional Reaction to
My Mother's Death

My mother died a week ago, tomorrow. It doesn't feel so recent - and the whole week has been like that. Tuesday 'felt like' Wednesday, for example.

I've been concerned about my low-key emotional response to my mother's death. Talking with my wife about it last night, and she pointed out that I've had years to adjust, and mourn. That got me thinking. In a way, it's decades: She had a massive stroke in the sixties, which made quite a difference in her thinking. Then, several years ago, she had to go into a nursing home. She's been on a very, very long slide.

Thinking about that last night, I wept. And stopped myself.

Well, it's a start.

Besides, my very ekte Norsk mother might not appreciate a lot of histrionics.

4 comments:

Jeff Wills said...

My condolences. I am really sorry to hear about your loss.

Brigid said...

A quiet mourning seems appropriate for a Norsk lady. ^_^

Brian H. Gill said...

Jeff,

Thank you. Appreciated.

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

You betcha.

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir