Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"Affordable" Vacation?

My wife and I saw a television commercial for Disney World last night. The Florida tourist destination's selling point was the price. All I noticed was that the ad was promoting family packages for Disney World. What my wife noticed was '$1600 a night' on someone's computer, while the announcer discussed how affordable Disney rates were.

Now, it's possible that we didn't see and hear the commercial correctly. I found "Packages under $1600" on the Disney World website, for a six night - seven day mom-pop-and-two-kids junket.

Still, sixteen hundred dollars? Affordable?

I suppose so, for the 19% or so of American households with over $100,000 a year coming in.

This family could buy four or five affordable cars for what that affordable vacation costs.

That's okay. Decades ago, I made decisions that led me to being married, with four surviving kids, in a small Minnesota town: and it's a good life.

No comments:

Advertisement
Unique, innovative candles
Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

On Twitter, I'm Aluwir